The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) at the UCF College of Medicine is delighted to offer the Health Leaders Summer Academy (HLSA). The program is a one-week, hands-on, educational summer experience for Orange and Osceola rising juniors that have demonstrated a strong passion for pursuing a career in medicine through their academic achievements. Ideal candidates are students that have completed their sophomore year in high school and one year of Biology. The program will present the opportunity to gain exposure to UCF faculty, staff, and medical students in a series of experiences and activities designed to increase interest and awareness in the health professional workforce.
By the end of the program, students will be able to
- Gain a deeper understanding of the requirements to achieve admission to the UCF College of Medicine.
- Enhance their skills in various aspects of medicine.
- Determine the core characteristics needed for future physicians.
- Synthesize information provided by faculty in various lab settings.
- Develop a clinically based team research project.
- Identify the steps needed for post-secondary admissions, as well as admission into medical school/other graduate programs through the dissemination of information from various academic offices.
- Express the dedication to pursue a career in medicine, through interaction with faculty and medical students and other health-related professions.
Please note that the Health Leaders Summer Academy is currently only offered to students who attend schools in Orange and Osceola Public Schools. To be eligible for the Health Leaders Summer Academy, applicants must meet and/or provide the minimum criteria below. Priority will be given to students entering into the 11th grade (rising juniors).
- Students who have completed their sophomore year of high school with a biology course
- 3.5-grade point average or higher
- 2 Essays (100 word minimum each)
- Recommendation from a STEM teacher at Orange or Osceola County
- Recommendation from a guidance counselor at Orange or Osceola County
- Unofficial transcript with current grades and hours of volunteer service
- Ability to attend the Academy for the entire week for their county of residence
- Attendance at an informational parent meeting for accepted students
- Commitment to attend the Academy on all scheduled days
- Application completed at 100%
Please use the link below to complete the application for this year’s Health Leaders Summer Academy. If you have not already created an account, you can do so by using your Google, Microsoft, or Facebook accounts.
Health Leaders Summer Academy Application – Coming Soon!
Please review the application checklist and frequently asked questions to assist you through the application process.
The application deadline is Friday, March 27, 2020 by 11:59 pm EST.
Selected applicants will be notified by Friday, May 22, 2020.
Learn More About the Health Leaders Summer Academy:
UCF Health Leaders Summer Academy 2018
Summer Academy Helps Underserved High Schoolers Prepare for Health Careers
Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
Please address any questions, comments, or concerns to:
UCF College of Medicine
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
6850 Lake Nona Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32827