Welcome to the 2019 Health Leaders Summer Academy!
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) at the UCF College of Medicine is delighted to offer the Health Leaders Summer Academy (HLSA). The program is a one-week hands-on educational summer experience for students that have completed their sophomore year in high school. Ideal candidates are students who have demonstrated a strong interest in pursuing a career in medicine through their academic achievements and have completed one year of Biology. Each year a group of students will have the opportunity to gain exposure to the UCF faculty, staff, and medical students in a series of activities.
By the end of the program, students will be able to,
- Gain a deeper understanding of the requirements to achieve admission to the college of medicine
- Enhance their skills in various aspects of medicine
- Determine the core characteristics needed for future physicians
- Synthesize information provided by faculty in various lab settings
- Develop a clinically based team research project
- Identify the steps needed for post-secondary admissions, as well as admission into medical school/other graduate programs through the dissemination of information from various academic offices
- Express the dedication to pursue a career in medicine, through interaction with faculty and medical students and other health-related professions
Please note the Health Leaders Summer Academy is only offered to students who attend schools in Orange and Osceola Public Schools. To be eligible for the Health Leaders Summer Academy, applicants must meet the minimum criteria below.
- Students who have completed their sophomore year of high school with a biology course
- 3.5-grade point average or higher
- 2 Essays (100 minimum)
- Recommendation from a STEM teacher at Orange or Osceola County
- Recommendation from a guidance counselor at Orange or Osceola County
- Unofficial transcript with current grades and hours of volunteer service
- Ability to attend the Academy for the entire week for their county of residence
- Attendance at an informational parent meeting for accepted students
- Commitment to attend the Academy all of the scheduled days
- Application completed at 100%
Please click on the application below that is pertinent to your role.
- The parent or Legal Guardian and Students
- Science or Math Teachers
**Deadline Extended**The deadline for all applications is on Sunday, June 30th, 2019 by 11:59 pm ET.
Please review the following checklist to ensure all of the elements of the application has been completed.
Please click on the link below here for frequently asked question.