College Of Medicine Fights Heart Disease
Posted on: August 31, 2012
Imagine the impact if we reduce death and disability from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 percent by the year 2020! That’s the goal of the American Heart Association’s Heart Walk on Saturday, September 15 at Orlando’s Loch Haven Park. And the UCF College of Medicine is participating.
The college’s goal is to raise $5,000 and sign up 50 walkers for the event. So far, we’ve raised $2,197. And the next few days will bring plenty of fun opportunities to raise money to fight heart disease, the leading killer of men and women in America.
- The next “Casual for a Cause” day, sponsored by the college’s Legal Affairs Department, is Friday, September 7. For a suggested donation of $5, you can wear jeans, running or walking shoes and a casual shirt to work. All proceeds go to the Heart Association. Please drop off your donation to the reception area on the third floor of the medical education building.
- Also on September 7, we’ll hold a craft sale with all proceeds donated to the Heart Association. All College of Medicine crafters, artists, gourmets and entrepreneurs are invited to sell hand-made treasures from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first floor of the medical education building.
- Interested in donating online to the COM team or signing up as a walker? On Wednesday, September 5 and Wednesday, September 12, the college will have stations and people on the first floor of the medical education building to provide assistance.
- Want to give your back support as you sit at your desk? The college is raffling a $1,200 Herman Miller Embody Chair. Tickets are a suggested donation of $5. The chair will be displayed and donations collected on September 5, 12 and 14 on the first floor of the medical education building. Those who make an online donation to the COM Heart Walk team automatically receive a raffle ticket.
- On Friday, September 14, we’ll hold a bake sale on the first floor of the medical education building and will do the drawing for the Embody Chair. Thank you to everyone who participated in the first bake sale, which raised $432 to combat heart disease.
For more information on the College of Medicine’s Heart Walk team, visit
Newsletter Sign Up
Want to stay up to date with the UCF College of Medicine? Sign up for our newsletters by entering your email below, and we will send you periodical news and information.