It is estimated that in the US alone, over 2 million people will be affected by cancer with 400,000 deaths per year. Research in our laboratories includes the following areas:
1) Investigating ways to limit metastasis in prostate and breast cancer.
2) Regulation of gene expression, gene silencing and telomere homeostasis in cancer cells.
3) Regulation of growth and apoptosis and understanding defects in genes that alter these processes.
4) Molecular studies of tumors in the nervous system and how cells communicate to regulate cell growth.
5) The rational design of novel anticancer therapeutic agents that target DNA and kill tumor cells.
6) New diagnostic screens that detect cancer at an early stage when tumor cells are in a primary tissue of origin.